If you’re feeling particularly productive for the next few days, why not get your wheels spinning and make sure your car keeps safe this lockdown as well.
We’ve got some tried and trusted suggestions in the form of an easy acronym – TWIRL.
T = Tyres
- Check the tread on your tyres to make sure your car can grip the road safely. The minimum legal depth in New Zealand is 1.5 mm (remember that question from your Learner’s license?). A 20-cent coin can be used to check the tread depth of a tyre. Put a 20-cent coin in the tread, and if the whole number 20 can be seen, there is less than 2 mm left. Probably time for a check-up.
- Check the general wear and tear in your tyres. Are there any lumps, cracks or bubbles anywhere?
- Check for any sharp objects that have somehow become stuck in the tyres or any exposed cuts.
- Don’t forget to check your spare tyre too if needed.
W = Windscreen
- Make sure your windscreen is clean and clear. Have a look for any chips or cracks.
- It’s also important to check that your windscreen wipers are in good condition and that your washer reservoir water is full.
I = Indicators.
- We said it would be easy! For indicators, simply turn them on and check they’re both working as expected.
R = Rust
- Any rust that exists in a structural area of a car poses a significant safety risk. Some slight rust in a wing mirror isn’t a major problem, but anything in the roof or pillars of the car will need to be looked at by a professional.
- Look for any bubbles or abnormal contours.
- If you’re feeling brave, grab a flashlight and check the undercarriage of the car also.
L = Lights
- Check that both the high and low beam lamps in your headlights are working. If you have daytime running lights, be sure to check these are working as well.
- While you’re there, make sure your headlights are clear, clean and unbroken.
Now you know how to TWIRL! If you realise your car needs a bit of work post the dancefloor, West City Auto Group is open for contactless servicing throughout the level 3 lockdown. Call us on (09) 837 0907 to make an appointment.